With his latest cabinet pick for Secretary of State–the CEO of Exxon–Trump is making it abundantly clear he is the key agent for the Oligarchs in the United States. Not even the CIA’s assessment that Trump is Putin’s pick can stop him. So Putin and Trump and their American Oligarchs will be moving quickly to dismantle the American government and constitution. Their efforts will be structural, outside of public attention, and obscured by whatever latest sideshow Trump concocts. By 2018 there will be little left of American government to oppose him; it’s doubtful there will be elections in 2020, at least elections under the Constitution.
So, besides moving to another country–which this blog is designed to help you do–what can you do? As the government fractures, federalism might be a good place to focus energy for positive political change. The Oligarchs are genuinely afraid of empowering local progressive democracies in the US or abroad (for example, Scotland). So secession movements might be the best place to rally. Here are seven good reasons you should move to a secession state.
- Strength in Numbers. The Oligarchs are taking over governments through fake populism exercised at the ballot box. But they can’t win–even with voter suppression–if decent people stand up to them. The more we are, the more difficult it becomes for them. So move to those Blue States, especially the ones with healthy secession movements. And if, in the process, Red States become more Red, and, like Kansas and Wisconsin and Indiana, sink into economic decline, poverty and ruin, even the stupidest of fake populists might recognize that it’s time to oppose the Oligarchs and the GOP.
- Local Control and Influence. It’s said that all politics is local, but working at the local level for independence from the United States will connect you to the community and engage your efforts in a way that is direct. You’ll be able to see the value of the work you do played out before you, instead of disappearing behind some organization in Washington DC.
- Rescaling the Economy. The power of the Oligarchs comes directly through their control of global resources. Rescaling economies and asserting local control over resources–be they oil in Alaska, timber in Cascadia, or intellectual firepower in California–directly cuts into the bottom line of the Oligarchs, and limits the financial resources that they have available to undercut democracy.
- Connections to Anti-Oligarchs. Acting locally and driving secession will engage you with local business leaders and wealthy people and may reinforce for them the need to oppose the Oligarchs, and the opportunities that can be found in local democracy.
- Justice and Law. The more that political decisions are driven down to the local level, the more transparency you’ll have with regards to the law and justice. It’s easier to address injustice when it is local and direct.
- Rationality. Even with people you disagree with, it is easier to debate issues rationally when they are framed from a common environment and shared community interests.
- It Will Get You Out of the Virtual and Into the Real. Part of the takeover of democratic states has been enabled by the Internet, hacking, and the virtual debates we’ve been having. Face-to-face local political activism is a great counterbalance to the cascade of fake on the Internet.
So there you have it. Move to a secession state and help dismantle the Oligarchy. Below are links to some of the more popular movements:
Alaskan Independence Party This party has been around since the days when Alaska was a territory, and they have party platforms that seem embalmed since then. But Alaskan secession for whatever cause will only help the other secessionist movements.
California Secession This has popular momentum. It may not lead to an actual Calexit, but a popular vote for secession would radically destabilize the Oligarch agenda.
Cascadia Secession This has been a movement for quite some time, and is only picking up steam.
Hawaii Independence and the Hawaiian Independence Party Are real entities, dedicated to overturning the coup white planters made against the Hawaiian kingdom in the 19th century.
New Hampshire has a very active independence movement, and is encouraging people to move there and join them.
Texas Secession There’s a lot of risible historical revisionism with regards to the civil war on this page, but the point here isn’t so much historical accuracy or social justice as it is leveraging this movement into local control for all the states.
Vermont Independence and Vermont Republic — Both from the land of Bernie Sanders.